The Hall and its traditions are the hub around which generations of Tallow Chandlers have gathered. We’ve been based on Dowgate Hill since 1476, and resident in our current Hall since 1672.
Easily located by its ‘tallow chandler blue’ wrought iron gates and the Company’s Coat of Arms, the Hall’s main entrance is directly opposite the Dowgate Hill exit of Cannon Street Underground station.
Guests enter through the ornate Company gates on Dowgate Hill in to a secluded Courtyard, which was fully restored in 2021 and is paved in York Stone enhanced with olive trees and flower displays. It provides a peaceful respite from the bustle of the City outside. The Courtyard can entertain up to 120 people for al fresco drinks.
A splendid staircase leads from the Lobby up to the Banqueting Hall and Parlour. The panelled walls are embellished with the Company’s coat of arms and the names of all the former Masters of the Company. Full cloakroom facilities are available.
This beautiful room dates from the seventeenth century, when Sir Joseph Sheldon, Lord Mayor of London in 1676, commissioned the oak panelling. The Parlour can receive guests before or after meals, or host smaller and more intimate luncheons or dinners. It can also be fitted out as a conference room for important business meetings.
Seating up to a hundred guests, this is one of the most beautiful Halls in the City. The elegant ceiling dates from 1868, when the original roof timbers were replaced. The south east corner of the Banqueting Hall was damaged during the Second World War, but was completely renovated between 1947 and 1955. Heraldic stained glass and fine paintings, combined with fine oak panelling, create the perfect atmosphere for Livery dinners or indeed any special occasion.
The Court Room
The Court Room is one of the original purpose-built Stuart court rooms of London, and retains its seventeenth century seating arrangements. It’s presented as a true court room, complete with Master’s dais and a sliding Bar at its entrance, which is drawn only for Court members. The Court Room is used for small meetings.
Tallow Chandlers’ Hall is available for hire; we have a Main Hall perfect for large dinners, a Parlour for receptions and smaller dinners, a Courtroom for meetings, and in the summer the Courtyard is available for larger receptions.
Find out more
Our Hall has been on Dowgate Hill since 1476. However, our original medieval Hall was burnt down in the Great Fire of London in 1666, so today’s Hall dates from 1672.
Find out more
Life’s Kitchen have been the Tallow Chandlers’ Hall’s permanent caterers for over ten years and work closely with our Hall team. They have an excellent record of serving delicious food delivered by a highly trained and dedicated team of staff.
Find out more