Awards for excellence
Tallow Chandlers awards recognise achievement in areas related to our trade (oils, fats and energy) and in the study of relevant subjects (science, technology, engineering and maths – STEM).
We make annual awards to:
- BP Apprentices and Technologists
- Cass Business School Executive MBAs
- City & Guilds Health and Social Care student or tutor
- City of London School for Girls STEM student
- FOSFA International course participants
- Greig City Academy STEM students
- Royal Engineers Sappers
- Manchester and Salford Universities Royal Naval Unit seagoing students
- 206(R) Squadron RAF flight test pilots
All winners receive a certificate of excellence and some are given an engraved silver candlestick and/or Tallow Chandlers gold medal. The candlestick represents our origins in the tallow trade. The medal was created by Christopher Ironside, designer of the UK’s first decimal coins.
We support the following schools through annual donations or scholarships:
- Cubitt Town Junior School
- City of London School for Boys
- City of London School for Girls
- Greig City Academy
- Guildhall School of Music and Drama
- Halley Academy
- King Edward’s School Witley
- Reed’s School
- St Paul’s Cathedral School
- The Bridge London
Bursaries for further, higher and trade education
We provide bursaries for study at or through the following establishments:
- Barts & The London School of Medicine and Dentistry, including bursaries funded by the Anya Sturdy Charitable Trust
- City & Guilds Institute
- FOSFA International – the Federation of Oils Seeds and Fats Associations
- Manchester University School of Chemical Engineering and Analytical Science
- School of Oriental And African Studies, University of London – jointly funded by M W Beer & Co and FOSFA International
- Selwyn College, Cambridge
- University of East London School of Health, Sport and Bioscience
There is also a joint Tallow Chandlers/BP bursary for apprentices who wish to study for a relevant degree.
Candidates for bursaries are selected by each establishment, with the final decision being made by the Company’s Education & Charity Committee or City & Guilds Liaison Committee.
We do not make awards to students who apply to us directly.