Our relationship with Greig City Academy began in 2013, when the Academy became our first ‘flagship’ beneficiary, combining financial support with the promotion of science, technology, engineering and maths (STEM) and participation in the school’s governance.
The Academy now receives one of our largest three-year donations, and a programme of non-financial support. The Company also supports two other flagships; Cubitt Town Junior School and Halley Academy.
Located in Haringey, the country’s 13th most deprived borough, Greig City Academy (GCA) aims to be both inclusive and distinctive and has been judged by Ofsted to be rapidly improving. The Company’s continued support to the Greig City Academy, particularly to STEM education, is making a significant difference. There have been some impressive achievements at the Academy, most notably the Academy being appointed a STEM Hub ‘Centre of Excellence’ for the Borough of Haringey in 2018.
Over the past five years, we have been developing a programme of non-financial support including:
- awards and bursaries to outstanding STEM students to support their transition to university
- group mentoring sessions with Tallow Chandlers members, associates and award winners
- talks and seminars to help students prepare for university applications and beyond
- helping to link GCA to other schools or organisations involved in STEM initiatives
- awarding £5,000 to Generating Genius, a programme that helped GCA students on their journey towards higher education and future employment
- awarding £2,000 to Arkwright Engineering Trust, to support a GCA student on a two-year engineering scholarship
In 2019, we supported a capital project which enabled a new STEM building to be built at the Academy. Students and staff are using the building for the expanding programme of extra-curricular STEM activities, including the robotics league which supports juniors schools in the local area and beyond. We are delighted that students from our other flagship, Cubitt Town Junior School take part in the robotics league competition at Greig City Academy.